Sunday, March 30, 2014

Just Keep Leading That Horse to Water

How to not maintain momentum? Blog about it, I reckon. . .

As soon as I finished that last post, I started a new commission project- "Dead and Dying" is how my client marked the box. Forty-three (!) figures of deceased adventurers. I won't be sharing those until I reach the family portrait stage- I have managed to get through about half of them at this point, with lots and lots of bloody corpses still on the queue.

As for my own collection, I have managed to squeeze out another three Otherworld minis:
Lantern Bearer, Female Ranger, and Meat Shield (AKA Linkboy) checking in
The fantastic Mr. Zhu convinced me recently to check out the amazing Barrowmaze for Labyrinth Lord/original D&D. Although I decided not to back the crowd fund they recently held, I did spring for a pdf of the first module, and boy- it is good. I mean really, really good. So I am now targeting the Christmas holiday 2014 to start a new rpg campaign with the family. I have about had it with all of the bookkeeping that is required to play Pathfinder, so getting back to basics with an ol' skool dungeon crawl through crypts and barrows should be fun.

That leads us to this weekend, wherein I banged out the first batch of skeletons speed painting style. This box from GW was just sitting around my leadpile waiting to be painted up. I would have preferred a few more unarmed skeletons rather than ones bearing swords and spears, but beggars can't be choosers. Wifey was nice enough to sculpt up the broken flagstone bases for me as she is far more handy with the modeling clay and knife than I am. . .
Speed Painting Techniques, Ho!
I'll slowly work in a few more adventurers in the coming weeks/months, along with some OW undead I have been slowly acquiring. Like I said, I have several months still to get them all done before the Barrowmaze Complete book comes out, and then it will be time for the dice to hit the table.

Hope all is well in your neck of the woods.

2 comments:

  1. Superb work as ever! Know what you mean about Pathfinder; when I first started to get back into gaming a few years ago, I picked up the core rules and bestiary...ran one game with the missus and then ebayed it and bought the old basic D&D redbox. Way more fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree with you more. Looking back just a few months, I went through the same decision and came to the same realization that you describe. The family seemed interested in trying an RPG; looking at all of the modern offerings, Pathfinder seemed like it would be the easiest to "grasp." What I didn't realize was that, for every hour we spent at the gaming table, I had to spend an hour afterwards toting up points, researching character upgrades, writing out monster stats for the next section of the adventure . . . and on and on and on. It honestly reminds me of doing taxes, which isn't ideal when you are talking about a game.

      Thanks for the painty compliments. Your dwarfs are also progressing very nicely! Can't wait to see the next installment. Cheers!

      Delete