Sunday, November 2, 2014

As Long As The Lightbox Is Out. . .

. . . I might as well get a couple of old mini projects documented.

First up is my RT-era SPESS MUHRRRINES. Like probably a large percentage of you reading this, my first foray into mini painting was one of the power armored giants, although my first one was one of the plastics that came with the 2nd edition 40K box and not one of these incredible metal C100 models.

The paint and color scheme came directly from one of my painting heroes, Delaney King, who posted a similar project along with a very kind tutorial on her blog a few years ago. As soon as I saw hers (she has some wicked conversions in her force as well, stuff that's well beyond my skill level), I knew I would have to collect some old marines and paint them up similarly.

My RT Eldar force, painted up to use in games against the marines, takes their inspiration (of course) from the Rogue Trader rulebook. They used to be so much more characterful and "elfy" than the current models, which seem to me too bulky for elven types. Purple guns for the win.

I used almost exclusively inks on these guys- only the flesh (if I remember correctly) was actually painted on. I still like the alien-ness that I achieved on this project- one of my personal favorites.

Take care.

5 comments:

  1. Splendid job on those, you really nailed the good "look". We need more of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate it, AM. Your own rogue trader squads continue to fuel my inspiration, so let's both keep it up. 😃😃

      Delete
  2. I was about to say that the colour scheme for the marines looked familiar :)

    They look great! I especially like how your Dread turned out too! I have bit of a soft spot those guys.

    In my book you can't beat the old Eldar space pirates, they look like a crack special-ops team or Mercs. I like the paint scheme, but I'm a little puzzled with your final comments about how you painted them almost entirely with inks? Could you give us a bit of a tutorial on the process? I'm actually starting to explore this method of painting, so I'd be very interested to know your technique.

    Cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much for the kind words. I can certainly publish a bit of a tutorial on how I painted the Eldar if you're interested, but I would just be parroting what lots of other people have written before. I simply did a 3-stage shaded undercoat to prepare the minis (grey spray paint, black ink, light grey then white dry brush). Once you have the mini pre-shaded, any glaze (like ink or very thin paint with a medium added) can be lightly brushed over the top and you get highlights in one step. Super easy. Again, check out King's Minis for a great tutorial on this technique. Cheers!

      Delete
    2. Can I second that? I am really intriguerd by your process as these look effin awesome!

      Delete