Sunday, January 11, 2015

I Love Me Some Glazed Reptile

As anyone who paid attention to this blog last year probably knows, I spent a lot of 2014 hobby time and energy painting up undead legions for our Barrowmaze campaign. Those painting sessions are finally paying off game-wise, as we've had a couple of cool dungeon crawls mowing through skellies, zombies, etc. One of the things that struck me as ironic, though, was how much Barrowmaze's author, Greg Gillespie, used swamp creatures (snakes, alligators, "boglings" AKA bullywugs, etc) to flesh out his wilderness encounters when travelling to and from the dungeon proper. In an effort to complete my players' experience mini-wise, I have turned my energies now to painting up a few proper bog creatures.

Case in point:

This giant snake from Grenadier will be attacking from a swampy hiding place soon. The stats for giant constrictors are pretty nasty in the original version of AD&D/Labyrinth Lord, so it won't surprise me if things get a bit hairy around the VeronaKid dinner table when he shows up.

Over my standard shaded undercoat, I applied a brown-green basecoat that, once drybrushed and highlighted, looked a bit too brown for my taste. Uber-light green ink glaze to the rescue!


The glaze really pulled the different highlight shades together and made the snake feel a whole lot more reptilian, to my eye anyway.


I also added a few blue and purple spots of ink glaze to the base, which is an old King's Minis trick from way back. I think it does add a nice sense of interest to an otherwise boring green-and-grass type of basing.

Cheers, lead brethren. Hope you are all well. Thanks for the look.

2 comments:

  1. Classic dungeon fodder! I've got an Otherworld Giant Spider pinned and primed and waiting for the ol' paint brush. Got to finish off some orcses first, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen that giant spider model. Great mini, but . . . I envy your pinning skills if you made it all the way through. That model and the OW Grell/Cerepod have scared me away for some time now. Orcses are always welcome on any painting table- I'll keep an eye on your blog to see your take. Thanks for the peep.

      Delete