Thursday, January 15, 2015

It's A Swamp Thing-You Wouldn't Understand.

I remember having a discussion with an art teacher back in my younger days, and it was one of those talks that has always remained entrenched in my memory. One of the things that this teacher told me was that it is folly to judge an artist by the works that are widely recognized as being their masterpieces. Truly great artists, this teacher opined, do produce those transcendent, once-in-a-lifetime works, but what makes them great is their consistency. My teacher's final comment on the topic was that anyone who pursues art will, from time to time, produce something great- the masters of the craft, however, produce greatness nearly every time they try.

Why this long preamble, you ask? Because, to put it bluntly: Kev Adams is the man.

I talked last year about how impressed I was with the Goblinmaster's Heartbreaker dwarf line. Now, I get to present my take on his Bullywugs/Boglings, sculpted for Otherworld. Pure awesome. Demonstrating that, even in our little niche art form, consistent greatness sets one apart.
Ribbit ribbit
Loaded with animated character, the set is a good mix of action and static poses. Great little details like pouches, salted fish, textured wood, and those fantastic Kev Adams mischievous faces. Just like the Citadel Night Goblins he infused with a sinister sense of humor way back in the 80's (would those be Kev's masterpiece?), these froggies ooze malice from every reptilian pore. Perfect encounters for a low-level party.

Mwahhh haaaa haaaa haaaa.

Cheers, lead brethren. Thanks for the look.

2 comments:

  1. I really love those and they would be perfect if not for the decorative shells... As someone looking to make Space slanns, I'll still keep these in mind though.

    Great painting on them, you really gave the right natural touch to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, JB. I agree with you on the shells- that's the one detail I could have done without on these figures. I didn't even think about using these as Slaan. My one conversion idea was that, with a little green stuff around the eyes and a couple of extra shell-shields, they'd make great Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle miniatures.

      Delete